If you have been attending Writers Forum meetings for a while, you might recall a couple of our most popular programs were offered by award-winning novelist Simon Wood. At one, he taught us how to build suspense in our work. In another, he taught us how writers can effectively use social media.
Simon Wood designed several workshops for limited offer to members of the Sisters in Crime crime writer group. He is now offering them to the public through his website.
The start dates for the classes are as follows (just click the links for course details):
KILLER SUSPENSE: May 18th
PLOT THICKENERS: June 8th
MANAGING POINTS OF VIEW (POV): July 6th
SHORT STORIES: August 3rd
AUTHOR PROFESSIONALISM: September 7th
According to the Simon Sez newsletter:
The nitty gritty:
- The format of classes is a mix of videos and handouts as part of an online classroom.
- The classes run for two weeks with 6 to 7 lessons in each workshop, except for the plotting workshop, which is three weeks.
- With every lesson, there’s an assignment and feedback. You aren’t obliged to do the homework or send it to me for feedback. It’s entirely up to you.
- The class is conducted via groups.io. People are expected to join in and comment on everybody’s work.
- Lessons will be posted every Monday, Wednesday and Saturday. That is subject to change. If people need more time then I will slow the lessons down.
Workshop cost: $50 each (exception for the Plot Thickeners – that’s $65)
FYI, there’s discount if you sign up for multiple classes. Also, if you have any fellow writers you think would be interested, there’s a $5 discount for each student you refer who signs up.
If you’d like to sign up, please send me an email at email@example.com
Having been in two of Simon’s workshops, I can guarantee that any of his workshops will be worth your time.